We all love to travel, to new places, new cities in cars, buses, caravans, by air, by the sea but I have travelled everyday since I was ten through books. I have let the ocean kiss my feet on the Coast of Ipanema and nosed around in Calgary and my travel expenses have never been more than the price of a McDonald Cheese Burger. Here's my travelogue where books can be found through the countries they have taken me to. The reviews are not professional and definitely not worth putting into a book review assignment for school! They are just a string of words that tell you what I felt when I travelled to a certain place. If it suits you, you go and book yourself a trip. If not, well...we'll keep it there!

Tuesday, March 4, 2014


Why I Am An Atheist: An Autobiographical DiscourseWhy I Am An Atheist: An Autobiographical Discourse by Bhagat Singh
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Being a History Majors student, I always assumed there was nothing more to know about Bhagat Singh, nothing that I already didn't know about. I knew he was an atheist,that somewhere inside, he was a Communist and that despite the fact he wasn't older than I am when he was hanged, he was quite learned.

What I discovered after reading this pamphlet, however, was exactly how much of a Communist,an atheist and how learned he was! Reading this was like having a tête-à-tête with Bhagat Singh, like hearing his voice, his views and his thoughts in person. I almost felt like I was sitting in front of him in his cramped little prison cell, listening to him, and not in front of my computer, merely reading words. It isn't like any essay I've ever read before.

I guess what left me slightly dissatisfied was the illusion of him talking to me was so strong throughout, I missed and almost grudged the possibility of putting forth some of my own views. There are things he could have explained better, arguments, that did seem like they were written down in a haste and certain points, I felt, he didn't really give much thought to. However, at the same time, Bhagat Singh grew on me as a person. Funny, until now, he had just been a Revolutionary Hero in my head!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment