We all love to travel, to new places, new cities in cars, buses, caravans, by air, by the sea but I have travelled everyday since I was ten through books. I have let the ocean kiss my feet on the Coast of Ipanema and nosed around in Calgary and my travel expenses have never been more than the price of a McDonald Cheese Burger. Here's my travelogue where books can be found through the countries they have taken me to. The reviews are not professional and definitely not worth putting into a book review assignment for school! They are just a string of words that tell you what I felt when I travelled to a certain place. If it suits you, you go and book yourself a trip. If not, well...we'll keep it there!

Sunday, April 10, 2016


Candide Or OptimismCandide Or Optimism by Voltaire
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

There are two ways to rate and read Candide:

Rating for the plot: 3
Rating for the the satire it was: 5


I guess the best way to describe this book is calling it a fairytale for the adults. Through Candide and Pangloss's rose tinted glasses everything happens for the greater good and everything is really, truly fine.

However, through the misfortunes of Candide and his friends, Voltaire presents a brilliant satire on the world he saw around him and which, to quite an extent, we see even today.

Read Candide to understand the world around us. Don't go by the plot. Read between the lines.

And most importantly, read a good translation! I had two versions on me: the one I marked, which is absolutely brilliant besides being fabulously illustrated; the other was a Kindle edition, which literally murdered the story!

So, yes, read Candide! Don't go by the friend's reviews (if I had, I'd never have bought it!). If you're lucky, you will love it!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment