We all love to travel, to new places, new cities in cars, buses, caravans, by air, by the sea but I have travelled everyday since I was ten through books. I have let the ocean kiss my feet on the Coast of Ipanema and nosed around in Calgary and my travel expenses have never been more than the price of a McDonald Cheese Burger. Here's my travelogue where books can be found through the countries they have taken me to. The reviews are not professional and definitely not worth putting into a book review assignment for school! They are just a string of words that tell you what I felt when I travelled to a certain place. If it suits you, you go and book yourself a trip. If not, well...we'll keep it there!

Friday, November 10, 2017


Death of a SalesmanDeath of a Salesman by Arthur Miller
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Okay, I know what's coming: This is so depressing! It made me want to jump off a cliff! So why did I like it?

Simply because it is beautifully heartbreaking? Why does a reader like books by Khaled Hosseni? What makes Hamlet such a beautiful tragedy?


Narration! And Arthur Miller is a master of the art of narration! Hate it, love it but you can't deny how powerful it is. Willy Loman, his madness, his imperfections:that's something you see all around you, even experience yourself sometimes.

I think the one thing that makes it so beautiful is the feelings, the emotions, the situations in the play are all pervasive. You've seen something like it inside your own house or around you. You come across people battling ambition, broken dreams, trying and giving up again. You meet people who lie to themselves everyday to evade the pain or to make it more bearable.


Linda, Biff, Happy, Willy and even Ben are everywhere. The world is full of them! What Miller does is he brings out the beauty in the monotony and the everyday life of these common, not so glamorous people and their lives.

Liking this play doesn't make me depressed because it's like being a fan of stream of consciousness: you may not relate to everything in it, but somewhere it strikes a bell of familiarity.

That, dear Reader, is Death of a Salesman for you!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment