We all love to travel, to new places, new cities in cars, buses, caravans, by air, by the sea but I have travelled everyday since I was ten through books. I have let the ocean kiss my feet on the Coast of Ipanema and nosed around in Calgary and my travel expenses have never been more than the price of a McDonald Cheese Burger. Here's my travelogue where books can be found through the countries they have taken me to. The reviews are not professional and definitely not worth putting into a book review assignment for school! They are just a string of words that tell you what I felt when I travelled to a certain place. If it suits you, you go and book yourself a trip. If not, well...we'll keep it there!

Monday, November 13, 2017


Hyperion a FragmentHyperion a Fragment by John Keats
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Disclaimer: Keats is my favourite poet in the whole wide world (and that's saying a LOT!) I am naturally biased to him because he's the only poet known to have soothed me in the greatest of sadness merely by the power of the words he wrote over two centuries ago. I write this review, thus, as a lover and not as a critic.



Hyperion:A Fragment is a result of Keats' desire to write something that would include him 'among the mighty dead' but it wasn't something he completed because of his failing health and also because he lost the inspiration. Despite that, it did become a poem that perhaps takes us the closest to Keats as a poet.

I think all of Keats' poetry can be said to revolve around a few common themes:

1. The first one marks the beginning of Endymion but is present in all his works- A thing of beauty is a joy forever.'

2. All that is true is beautiful and worthy of being written about. Since human sufferings and emotions are true, hence, they, too, are beautiful because of their depth, their poignancy and their intensity and can equally move another human being.

3. Change is an inevitable truth. It may be unpleasant at first but simce it's inevitable, and marks the end of the old and rings in the new, there must be some sort of profound beauty in the state of newness as well.



Hyperion, so far, is that one poem, which allegorically portrays all of these sentiments.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment