We all love to travel, to new places, new cities in cars, buses, caravans, by air, by the sea but I have travelled everyday since I was ten through books. I have let the ocean kiss my feet on the Coast of Ipanema and nosed around in Calgary and my travel expenses have never been more than the price of a McDonald Cheese Burger. Here's my travelogue where books can be found through the countries they have taken me to. The reviews are not professional and definitely not worth putting into a book review assignment for school! They are just a string of words that tell you what I felt when I travelled to a certain place. If it suits you, you go and book yourself a trip. If not, well...we'll keep it there!

Sunday, April 10, 2016


Come, Tell Me How You LiveCome, Tell Me How You Live by Agatha Christie
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Call me biased but I never even dreamed that an Agatha Christie book would make it to my favourites list!

I have nothing against detective fiction ( I enjoy it very much, rather!) but I never seem to remember a mystery and when I look back, they all seem the same! As a result I had more interest in the works of Agatha Christie's husband, who, like yours truly, was an archaeologist.

So, imagine my surprise when I discovered that Christie, too,had written her experiences of being married to one and her time at the digs in Syria! I wasn't just happy, I was overjoyed because this book, thatwas bought (or rather, rescued) from a dirty, dingy bookshop in Firozpur Cantonement (an old British town) was both a first edition and a book that had never been bought! The cherry on the top was it was about archaeology from a non archaeological perspective, similar to my own initiative, Speaking Archaeologically!

And so began a journey of almost two months with this book, which accompanied me when I held seminars, assisted volunteers and then came to an end in Firozpur itself, where I had first started reading this book!

I am not going to talk about whether you should or shouldn't read it but I loved it! Nothing is more refreshing to an archaeologist than reading about a dig informally and living vicariously through someone's account in a dig from the 1930s!

I loved it!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment