We all love to travel, to new places, new cities in cars, buses, caravans, by air, by the sea but I have travelled everyday since I was ten through books. I have let the ocean kiss my feet on the Coast of Ipanema and nosed around in Calgary and my travel expenses have never been more than the price of a McDonald Cheese Burger. Here's my travelogue where books can be found through the countries they have taken me to. The reviews are not professional and definitely not worth putting into a book review assignment for school! They are just a string of words that tell you what I felt when I travelled to a certain place. If it suits you, you go and book yourself a trip. If not, well...we'll keep it there!

Sunday, April 10, 2016


South of the Border, West of the SunSouth of the Border, West of the Sun by Haruki Murakami
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Actual Rating: 3.5

There's no coherent way of reviewing this book and to quite an extent that is explicable because it is a Murakami book. However, more pronounced than the elements of magical realism are the elements of grief, loss, the thirst for something that never was nor will be yours.

I think what I liked more about this book was how well I could relate to its philosophies and to some bits of this story. Certain parts of it made me feel like Murakami had taken a peek inside my head and then written things down.

What is, however, the weak part of the story is how it ends. I found myself wanting a better explanation for why Yukiko forgives her husband and also for why exactly Hajime was how he was. Izumi's story too remains rather untold and unfinished and I found myself wanting more in the episode when Hajime finally comes face to face with her.

As for the story itself, I won't describe it as exactly beautiful and certainly not Murakami's best. It's a lot like Casablanca but then again the writing is almost unexpectedly dull at the places it could have been more poignant and unexpectedly poetic in other places.

Overall, it's a story you must read not for the plot but for the philosophy.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment