We all love to travel, to new places, new cities in cars, buses, caravans, by air, by the sea but I have travelled everyday since I was ten through books. I have let the ocean kiss my feet on the Coast of Ipanema and nosed around in Calgary and my travel expenses have never been more than the price of a McDonald Cheese Burger. Here's my travelogue where books can be found through the countries they have taken me to. The reviews are not professional and definitely not worth putting into a book review assignment for school! They are just a string of words that tell you what I felt when I travelled to a certain place. If it suits you, you go and book yourself a trip. If not, well...we'll keep it there!

Sunday, April 10, 2016


The Boy in the Striped PyjamasThe Boy in the Striped Pyjamas by John Boyne
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

A Memory : A couple of years ago, when my best friend drove rather fast, with me in the passenger seat, and I screamed for safety, he asked me, "Isn't this the best way to die: with your best friend for life? Or would you rather live without me?"

Those were my thoughts exactly when I reached the part of the book where I knew catastrophe was about to strike! If something must happen to Shmuel , then leaving Bruno behind would be heartless. And what would happen when he grew up to find out what "Out-With"was and who the "Fury" really was? The guilt would have ruined him and scarred him for life! It was kinder that he died innocent and ignorant with the one person, who it was best to die with.

Don't get me wrong: the story shattered me to pieces! And yes, I do think John Boyne is a monster to have created such an amazingly delicate apocryphal story of such innocent friendship with such delicate, profound imagination, and then bringing it down with a crash.

I do have to grant him the sense of poetic justice though: for a Nazi Commandant to finally feel some of the pain so many Jews went through...

Oh, go read it, if you've ever loved any friend of yours with a childlike innocence, with a winsome loyalty. This book is a bittersweet chocolate that you ought to taste!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment