We all love to travel, to new places, new cities in cars, buses, caravans, by air, by the sea but I have travelled everyday since I was ten through books. I have let the ocean kiss my feet on the Coast of Ipanema and nosed around in Calgary and my travel expenses have never been more than the price of a McDonald Cheese Burger. Here's my travelogue where books can be found through the countries they have taken me to. The reviews are not professional and definitely not worth putting into a book review assignment for school! They are just a string of words that tell you what I felt when I travelled to a certain place. If it suits you, you go and book yourself a trip. If not, well...we'll keep it there!

Sunday, April 10, 2016


The House Of The SpiritsThe House Of The Spirits by Isabel Allende
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

It's funny when you find yourself reviewing the same author with the same words. For Isabel Alllende , my reiteration is the 3F Factor : Fact, Fiction and Feminism. Let me break it down for you:

A Fact: You cannot possibly find a more heart wrenching and faithful account of the Military Coup in Chile.

The Fictional Aspect: Hello? Haven't you heard of the delightful genre called Magical Realism? Could fiction or narration get any better than that?

The Feminism: A mother starts the suffragette society and involves her daughter in it. A woman learns the art of bonding with her unborn daughter that she passes down through generations. A wife stands up against an abusive husband defending her daughter's love and life. A woman emerges stronger than before after rape, humiliation and imprisonment, learning to love another's children like her own and helping fellow inmates to bear it all with fortitude and dignity.

Like I have already said about Isabel Alllende , you cannot do the 3F better than her. The result gives you goosebumps, shatters you, sends you into throes of depression and yet makes you celebrate the fact that because you are a woman, your soul and spirit is indestructible, that only you alone can allow anything, no matter how brutal, break you!

Read it if you've ever felt weak. Read it if your soul needs nourishment. Read it if you come from a family of strong women, who cherish strong mother-daughter bonds. Just go, read it.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment